Fire destroys motor home in Augusta, leaves man destitute

November 15th, 2012 by admin Leave a reply »

View Larger Map

November 13

Fire destroys motor home in Augusta, leaves man destitute

Woodard Road blaze on Sunday the latest in series of troubles for Robert Wing, 51

By Betty Adams badams@centralmaine.com
Staff Writer

AUGUSTA — Robert Wing knelt and held his Dalmatian, Brie, tightly in front of their charred motor home Tuesday morning, the acrid smell of smoke still in the air.

Robert Wing kneels with his Dalmatian, Brie, held tightly in front of their charred motor home on Tuesday afternoon in Augusta.

Staff photo by Joe Phelan

The dog was all Wing had left.

The two had managed to escape a fire that started early Sunday morning in the bathroom of the small Chevy Van 30 motor home, which lacked electricity, running water and heat. A candle sparked the blaze, authorities said.

Wing, 51, had been living in the camper on the Woodard Road property belonging to his father since May.

Wing showered and ate some meals at the next-door home of neighbors Susan Gagne and Michael Williams, who have befriended him.

That’s where Wing ran to get help about 6 a.m. Sunday when Brie’s barking alerted him to the fire.

“I turned around and there were flames coming through the back of the bathroom door,” Wing said.

He grabbed Brie, threw her out the driver’s door and followed right behind. He raced to the Gagne/Williams home a few yards away and started pounding on their door to get help.

“The RV went

Article source: http://www.kjonline.com/news/the-rv-went-up-so-quick_2012-11-13.html

Advertisement

.