AUGUSTA — A circuit overloaded by a permitted marijuana growing operation sparked a Saturday fire that damaged a Green Street home.
A male tenant, who was home alone, was taken to the hospital after complaining of chest pain, Augusta Fire Chief Roger Audette said.
Audette estimated the fire caused $40,000 worth of damage.
“The fire was in a couple of walls and floors,” he said. “We had to really dig it out.”
The home, at 101 Green St., is uninhabitable, Audette said. He did not notify the Red Cross to help with essentials and housing because the tenant went to the hospital, but Audette said those services would be offered.
The fire was sparked by an overloaded electrical circuit, Audette said.
“In the back there were all kinds of electrical cords,” he said.
Augusta police Sgt. Christopher Shaw said it appears the cords are associated with a marijuana growing operation. Shaw said the tenant and his wife have medical permits to use marijuana.
Audette notified the state fire marshal about the fire